The St. Pete Beach Public Library, located at 365 73rd Avenue (about two blocks from City Hall), was founded in 1951 by the St. Petersburg Beach Community Club. It became a municipal library when the City of St. Pete Beach was incorporated in 1957. The current 8,200 square foot building was constructed in 1969, partially refurbished in 1995, and temporarily relocated to 7470 Gulf Boulevard during a major renovation in 2020-2021.
Today, the Library is a division of the City's Administrative Services Department. It has been a member of the Pinellas Public Library Cooperative since 1989. This county-wide library collaboration affords SPB patrons full access to all materials and services of the 14 PPLC member libraries throughout Pinellas County.
The collections include books as well as a broad selection of media such as CD Books, DVDs, CD Music, and online access to an extensive collection of e-books and downloadable audio books, magazines, and movies. The Library also checks out iPads (for in-library use), ukulele kits, and free passes to local museums. Services provided by the staff of three Librarians, a Library Assistant, and four Library Clerks include processing library cards; charging, discharging and shelving materials; collecting fines and fees; planning and facilitating programs; arranging for local reserves; and answering general reference and readers advisory questions. Staff is trained and available to provide assistance to patrons with a variety of information technologies, such as the public computers, e-Readers, iPads, etc. as well as a variety of software programs and the Internet, including e-government websites.